New Music Friday 9/13

Time to jam out to the new music released this week!

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Music Friday 9/13

Amerald Wheatley-Johnson, Editor-in-Chief

This week has helped us not only relive our glory days, but also helped us reflect!  This playlist is an abridged version of many songs that dropped this week!  Jam out in the gym, in the car or during your commute with this diverse, killer list of songs!

The playlist begins with some pioneers of mainstream punk with Green Day (“Father of All…” single released this week, but full studio album set to release next February), Weezer (new album set to release next May) and Fall Out Boy who have all announced that they’re set to begin a “Hella Mega” tour next summer. Blink-182 slips in there with “I Really Wish I Hated You”.  Their style has definitely grown, but the song still reflects the punks that helped the style and culture become more mainstream.

Transitioning to pop, Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus and Lana Del Rey give us the cookie-cutter, yet edgy song we never knew we needed from the Charlie’s Angels reboot in theaters now.  Julia Michaels continues to deliver vulnerable melodies in “If You Need Me”, while Lana Del Rey (“Looking For America”) and Emeli Sande (“Human”) remind us of the growth that we as a nation are capable of, but have yet to grasp.

Wrapping up the playlist, The Lumineers deliver a smooth composition matched with calming and heartfelt vocals in “Life in the City”. FKA Twigs delivers sweet harmonies, as per usual, over a trap-heavy beat.  Future joins her and brings his familiar hypnotic flow. The list ends with a collaboration between the late XXXTentacion and XXL 2019 Freshman Rico Nasty (#PROUDCATOWNERREMIX”), “10/10” by Rex Orange County (the Golf Wanger reappears in a hopeful, yet overcoming tune) and “Beta Male Strategies” by JPEGMafia , who is an artist to watch!

Other Notable Songs Released This Week: Drake’s “Behind Barz (Bonus)”, “Miracle Pill” by Goo Goo Dolls, and “Click” by Charli XCX.