Black Friday Good or Bad?

Shianna Thompson, Staff Writer

What is Black Friday? Black Friday is a none federal holiday; however, it is a public holiday in some states. Black Friday is the name for the day following Thanksgiving in the United States which is the fourth Thursday of November. This has been regarded as the beginning of the United States Christmas shopping season since 1952.

The term “Black Friday” did not become widely recognized or used until the early 2000s. As the years past more people started to go out on Black Friday. It’s the one day a year where you can get the best deals all in one day. In recent years the deals start earlier and end later but there are still a lot of exclusive deals going on on Black Friday. This is the reason why a lot of people like to go out on Thursday night to get these exclusive deals.

This can result in people having a higher chance of injuries and some extreme cases even death. This problem is more common in highly populated areas.  There are also people who don’t celebrate Thanksgiving until Sunday so they can prepare for Black Friday. In some cases, people will celebrate Black Friday early so they can get to work. For those people who work in the stores, they have to get up early so they are ready to work on Black Friday. But with deals now starting earlier more people have to work on Thanksgiving.

Some families make it a part of Thanksgiving and they turn it into a family outing. Some family’s don’t allow their family members to go out so they can celebrate the holiday together. So what do you think of Black Friday? Is it hurting your time with your family or is it bring you closer.