Hurricane Florence Makes Landfall: The Aftermath

A pier is battered by tall waves during Hurricane Florence (Credit: Whsv.com)

Lindsey Miller, Staff Writer

Hurricane Florence made landfall on September 14th, 2018, after being downgraded from a category 4 to a category 1 storm; by September 15th, the storm was downgraded again to a tropical storm, and expected to be downgraded again to a tropical depression (Abcnews.com). However, while Florence may no longer be classified as a hurricane, the impact of the storm continues to grow.

While conclusive reports are not yet available, and official data has yet to be released, “At least 32 people have died in storm-related incidents, with 25 dead in North Carolina, 6 in South Carolina and 1 in Virginia…about 500,000 homes and businesses are still without power in North and South Carolina” (Cbsnews.com).

In addition to the physical damage left in the wake of a hurricane, The Department of Health and Human Services has also declared a state of emergency in the Carolinas and Virginia, with biological risks such as mold, infection, mosquitoes, and hog waste threatening health (Foxnews.com).

As of September 17th, more approximately 1,200 roads remain closed in North Carolina due to continued flooding, including interstates 40 and 95 (Washingtonpost.com).