Game Review: A Way Out

A Prison Break Is More Fun With Friends

James Haberstich, Co-Editor In Chief

A Way Out is a strictly cooperative-only experience for Xbox One, PS4, and PC. The game showcases the journey between Vincent and Leo, a pair of convicts who work together to escape a prison. Vincent, falsely convicted of murdering his own brother, and Leo, convicted of grand theft, realize that they were both taken advantage by the same individual, a man named Harvey. They decide to escape together and exact revenge on Harvey.

The gameplay is certainly interesting, offering an entirely split-screen experience. Each of the two players takes the role of one of the main characters, guiding them through the plot. This experience is refreshing, as gameplay using a split-screen method is often irritating and annoying, with the camera moving all over the place. This game treats the experience differently, giving each player the ability to roam freely on their half of the screen.

The two main characters of A Way Out, Vincent and Leo. Photo credit to wccftech.com.

The plot itself is well-written, giving each character depth and a good backstory to give the players a great sense of immersion. Although the story is not incredibly long, it is action-packed. There are plenty of fight scenes, car chases, and gunfire to keep players involved in the storyline and to get attached to their character. Within the game are plenty of minigames, where the two characters compete in simple challenges to get the highest score. My friend and I had a blast going through each of them and were always trying to beat each other at the various sports the game offered. As we progressed and eventually beat the game, tensions and emotions ran high. The ending to this game is incredible and makes the entire experience of playing through the game worth it. There are two possible endings, each happening based on the actions of the two players.

A photo of the split-screen experience offered in A Way Out. Photo credit to www.windowscentral.com.

There were only two major concerns I had with A Way Out. The first were the apparent continuity errors and weird story elements my friend and I noticed as we went through the game. An object might be in someone’s hand in one frame and then move in the next, or we would talk to a news stand with our wanted poster next to it. These things were more funny than annoying but they are definitely present. The other concern I had were the amount of odd dialogue phrases and the correlating facial expressions. A character might look irritated but sound slightly happy, say things that seemed a little out of character, etc.

One of the many entertaining minigames featured in the game. Photo credit to www.rockpapershotgun.com.

Overall, A Way Out  is a wonderful cooperative experience with a storyline filled with tension as well as light-hearted moments. The characters are relatable, the setting is realistic, and the story keeps players immersed and involved. If I were to give the game a rating out of 10, I would give it a 7.8. If you have a friend and want a cool, action-packed experience that won’t take too long to complete, this game is for you.