Early Season MLB Predictions

Predicting Awards, Numbers, and the Postseason

Back to Article
Back to Article

Early Season MLB Predictions

Photo: Fansided. SP Yu Darvish for the Chicago Cubs.

Tyler Didio, Staff Writer

Since the 2018 baseball season is here, predictions are being made from everyone around the baseball world. Obviously, in the American League, the Houston Astros are pretty significant favorites going into this season. The Astros added Gerrit Cole to their already deep pitching rotation and early signs show that they will be the ones to beat in the American League. That was until the New York Yankees got Giancarlo Stanton in the offseason. The Yankees look like they will be breaking some team records this season in the home run category.

In the National League, it is the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Chicago Cubs as the favorites. The Dodgers still have talented young bats with a strong veteran pitching staff. The Cubs are obviously well-coached, have a well balanced offense, and have a solid pitching staff. They signed Yu Darvish in the offseason, which should make up for the loss of Jake Arrieta.

Photo: New York Yankees Twitter. Aaron Judge (left) and Giancarlo Stanton (right).

But with all that being said, it is now time to get into some predictions:

• The New York Yankees will break the team home run record in a season, which was previously held by the 1997 Seattle Mariners with a total of 264. I believe that the Yankees will hit 277 team home runs this season.
  • The highly regarded prospect Shohei Ohtani will win the American League Rookie of the Year Award  by hitting 20 home runs with a .290 batting average and have a 2.50 earned run average on the mound.
  • J.P. Crawford, shortstop for the Philadelphia Phillies, will win the National League Rookie of the Year Award while Scott Kingery, second baseman for the Philadelphia Phillies, will be the runner-up.
  • Max Scherzer, starting pitcher for the Washington Nationals, will win the National League Cy Young Award. Chris Sale, starting pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, will win the American League Cy Young Award.
  • Bryce Harper will win the National League MVP Award by a landslide. Harper will hit over 50 home runs and have over 120 runs batted in.

Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports
Photo: CBS Sports. OF Bryce Harper for the Washington Nationals.

• For a little bold prediction, I am saying that Jose Abreu, the first baseman for the Chicago White Sox, will win the American League MVP Award. Abreu will hit 40 home runs, with 110 runs batted in, and have a batting average of .325.
  • The Chicago Cubs will just barely sneak into the playoffs this season, as they will finish with a record of 83-79, yet still win their division.
  • In the American League, I have the New York Yankees winning the east, the Cleveland Indians winning the central, and the Houston Astros in the south. The two wild card teams are the Chicago White Sox and the Boston Red Sox.
  • For the National League, I have the New York Mets winning the east, the Chicago Cubs winning the central, and the San Francisco Giants winning the west. The two wild card teams are the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Colorado Rockies.
  • The World Series will be the San Francisco Giants vs the New York Yankees. The series will go 6 games and I have the New York Yankees winning the 2018 World Series.