Teacher Removed For Racist Podcast

“Unapologetic” Podcast Causes Investigation

James Haberstich, Co-Editor In Chief

A middle school teacher in Florida was removed from her classroom after being accused of hosting a white-nationalist podcast, as well as bragging about stating her views in her classroom. Dayanna Volitich, a 25 year old teacher at Crystal River Middle School, is under an investigation after the Huffington Post reported of a concerning podcast titled “Unapologetic.” It appeared that a teacher from Crystal River Middle School had participated in the podcast, and the investigation launched soon after (Abcnews.go.com).

The host of this podcast, a woman named Tiana Dalichov, spoke of anti-Semitic conspiracy theories and suggestions that Muslim people should be eradicated from the planet. On a Twitter account using the pseudonym Tiana Dalichov, several posts made by neo-Nazis, anti Semites, and white supremacists were retweeted (Huffingtonpost.com). Dalichov also spoke of how she was a middle school teacher in her second year, which, according to Citrus County Schools, was the same status of Dayanna Volitich. Dalichov stated that she strove to advance her views to her students and that she would encourage them to “play along” when she was being observed by a superior in class (Cnn.com).

A picture of the teacher in question, Dayanna Volitich. Photo credit to vt.co.

Eventually, Huffington Post was able to connect the two identities, Dayanna Volitich and Tiana Dalichov, and identified the two as the same person. Dayanna stated that, “None of the statements released about my being a white nationalist or white supremacist have any truth to them, nor are my political beliefs injected into my teaching or social studies curriculum,” as well as “While operating under the Russian pseudonym ‘Tiana Dalichov’ on social media and the Unapologetic Podcast, I employed political satire and exaggeration, mainly to the end of attracting listeners and followers, and generating conversation about the content discussed between myself and guests” (Abcnews.go.com).

There have been no further statements from Volitich, but the investigation is still ongoing.