Get Connected

Science of Grounding

Photo by Susan Hassen

Photo by Susan Hassen

Photo by Susan Hassen

Adam Bergeron, Staff Writer

Grounding is the process of connecting the body with the Earth. This helps because the surface of the Earth is a natural negative post, or ground charge. Our bodies are bioelectrical, meaning that we are full of electrical charge. The electricity in the pathways of our body help move memories, reactions, and responses to different parts of our bodies. Grounding can help reduce stress, increase circulation, and decreases the amount of inflammation and pain. In order for Grounding to take place people need to be literally connected to the Earth. No shoes or any object or structure blocking the connection of body to ground. Human inventions and structures such as our houses, schools, and shoes are keeping us separated from the Earth, causing this inflammation in our muscles, joints, intestinal tracts, everything. Spending a couple hours a day outside, barefoot, helps. By going outside you’re allowing the Earth to set equilibrium in your body, everything from stress, inflammation, and pain will deplete and vanish if the practice is kept up with. According to the Human Physiology Department, “Grounding reduces pain and alters the numbers of circulating neutrophils and lymphocytes, and also affects various circulating chemical factors related to inflammation.” To conclude, grounding is the solution to most health problems caused by inflammation and disconnection from the Earth has caused many health issues to the homosapien species.

Crohn’s disease is an irritable bowel disease (IBD) that causes inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract, which causes pain and bleeding. Asthma, chronic peptic ulcer, tuberculosis, rheumatoid arthritis, periodontitis, ulcerative colitis, and Crohn’s disease are all caused by inflammation in the body. Inflammation is the body’s ability to heal damaged tissue, so it sends white blood cells to try and heal the “affected” area. Although, there are no injured areas to heal and when the body is trying to heal a wound it swells and turns red to show that the body is trying to fix the problem. This is an autoimmune disease, when there is no injury yet your body still gets a response to send these cells to the designated area and nonstop which would clearly cause problems such as Crohn’s disease. “Being grounded can help relieve inflammation” (Huffingtonpost.com).  The inflammation of Crohn’s disease can be cured by grounding. Grounding can help decrease inflammation and pain, relieve stress, and improves circulation throughout the body.

Posted by Dr. Mercola