The Baseball Season is Upon Us

Notable Moves Made This Offseason

Photo%3A+Jayne+Kamin-Oncea-USA+TODAY+Sports.+Shohei+Ohtani+on+the+Los+Angeles+Angels.+
Photo: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports. Shohei Ohtani on the Los Angeles Angels.

Tyler Didio, Staff Writer

The 2018 baseball season has finally come. Teams are making last minute moves before spring training as they work to put a team together that will win a World Series. It was not long ago when the Houston Astros overcame the odds against the young and talented Los Angeles Dodgers to win the coveted World Series, but once the World Series ended, the offseason began. Let’s break down some of the more notable transactions this past offseason.

Most notable of these transactions is the young dual-threat player from Japan, Shohei Ohtani. The Los Angeles Angels signed the 23 year old for $2.315 million (Sports Illustrated). Ohtani has incredible potential in this league for years to come, because of his ability to not only throw a fastball at 100 miles per hour, but to also hit baseballs out of the yard. The Angels might have signed a really special player.

Another big signing in the news is first baseman Eric Hosmer. He was signed on an 8 year $144 million contract to play for the San Diego Padres. The signing of a superstar like Ohtani is big news for the baseball world, but this is the most money given to any player this offseason. Hosmer is 28 years old and is in the prime of his career. He chose to leave the 2015 World Series champion Kansas City Royals and moved over to a Padres team that has never won a World Series in their lifetime.

Photo: The Edwardsville Intelligencer. First Baseman Eric Hosmer signs with the San Diego Padres.

Speaking of the World Series, how about the New York Yankees? Giancarlo Stanton was traded to the New York Yankees from the Miami Marlins. The Yankees have the young phenom Aaron Judge that hit 52 home runs in his first season (Baseballreference.com). Now they have Judge and Stanton who both combined for 111 home runs last season. The Yankees have the short dimensions in their stadium as well, so that might help out a guy like Stanton who is capable of hitting baseballs out of the stadium.

Photo: The New York Times. Outfielder Giancarlo Stanton signs with the New York Yankees.

This season should be very exciting for baseball fans. With so many teams having a huge upside, it will be hard to argue the fact that this might be one of the most entertaining seasons we witness in baseball history.