The Philadelphia Eagles Soar to a Super Bowl Victory

The Philadelphia Eagles Win Super Bowl 52

Photo: Wall Street Journal. Eagles quarterback Nick Foles holds up the Lombardi Trophy.

Tyler Didio, Staff Writer

February 6, 2005 was the last time the Philadelphia Eagles were playing in the Super Bowl. Terrell Owens, who was recently inducted into the Hall of Fame, played in that game. The Philadelphia Eagles would go on to lose this game to none other than the New England Patriots, but little did the Eagles realize that they would get an attempt to end that same dynasty nearly a decade later. Fast forward now to February 4, 2018, a date that will be remarked as one of the greatest nights in football history. Quarterback Nick Foles, who almost considered retiring from football a couple seasons ago, started the 2018 season as a backup to Carson Wentz. Wentz suffered a torn ACL which made Foles the starting quarterback for the rest of the season. Many people thought the Philadelphia Eagles should not have made the playoffs, because the Wentz injury brought an end to Super Bowl hopes.

Photo: Heavy.com. Eagles Quarterback Carson Wentz on crutches.

But then, the playoffs arrived. The Philadelphia Eagles stood as the number one seed in the NFC and a large percentage of analysts had them losing to the Atlanta Falcons in the Divisional Round. But, the Eagles won that game 15-10. The next week, the Minnesota Vikings were coming off one of the most bizarre games in football history. Everyone thought this game would be low scoring and end up being a Vikings win. The Eagles slashed the Vikings 38-7.

The time was now for the Philadelphia Eagles. Remember February 6, 2005 when the Patriots beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl? Well, thirteen years later these two teams would meet again. The main concern everyone had for this Eagles team was the spotlight. How were they going to handle it? A backup quarterback that had never played in a Super Bowl facing Tom Brady who had been to eight Super Bowls. The odds were against the Eagles once again, but they had nothing to lose.

The game started off strong for the Eagles. Foles was hitting his wide receivers on stride, and head coach, Doug Pederson, was creating smart plays for Foles to operate on this Patriots defense. But just before halftime, with 38 seconds left on the clock and the Eagles leading 15-12, Doug Pederson chose not to kick a field goal but instead go for it on fourth and goal. Pederson drew up an incredible trick play that resulted in Nick Foles catching a touchdown pass thrown by his tight end, Trey Burton. This play at the time seemed bizarre, but it ended up being the deciding factor in this game. The Philadelphia Eagles won 41-33 in what was the highest scoring Super Bowl of all time. Foles was awarded the Super Bowl MVP after throwing for 373 yards and 3 touchdowns with 1 touchdown catch as well. On the losing side, Tom Brady threw for 505 yards which is the most passing yards ever in a Super Bowl. February 4, 2018 will be a date that will live on forever, in the city of brotherly love.

Photo: USA Today. Patriots quarterback Tom Brady walks off the field with teammates after the defeat.