Don’t Be Neutral About Net Neutrality!

New FCC Revisions Pose Threat to the Internet

James Haberstich, Head Editor

Net neutrality is yet again under attack, this time by Mr. Ajit Pai, head of the FCC (Federal Communications Commission. “Net neutrality is the internet’s guiding principle: It preserves our right to communicate freely online” (Savetheinternet.com).

There have been recent mentions of changing the terms of net neutrality, all of which talk about removing the current system. This could possibly change the internet into a system similar to cable, where packages featuring different websites could be offered, granting only certain permissions dependent on what you have purchased (Wired.com). There has also been discussion that in certain hypothetical situations, removing net neutrality could also affect the speed of certain sites and applications (Wired.com). Telecom companies could even cut certain websites and pages off of the internet just based on if they dislike them (Savetheinternet.com).The current system of net neutrality prevents these drastic types of changes, and allows the internet to remain a free place where people can share their ideas, work, and opinions online.

Ajit Pai, the current Chairman of the FCC. Photo credit to en.wikipedia.org.

Mr. Pai has stated what he thinks about the given situation, stating, “The FCC will no longer be in the business of micromanaging business models and preemptively prohibiting services and applications and products that could be pro-competitive” (Independent.co.uk). Pai has stated that changing net neutrality procedure would help make markets more competitive, when it fact it could make the lives of internet users worse. Pai also stated, “The truth of the matter is that we decided to abandon successful policies solely because of hypothetical harms and hysterical prophecies of doom” (Nytimes.com). These changes seem to only help out big companies online, as well as telecom companies, and aim to help companies make larger profits off of currently free services.

Some signs representing the arguments against the net neutrality revisions. Photo credit to www.aclu.org.

The reaction to these possible changes has not been a positive one. Reddit, a large media website, had many posts screaming to go against these revisions, many offering petitions to sign, or other outlets to oppose the changes. There is a current online petition being offered at https://www.change.org/p/save-net-neutrality-netneutrality that many have already signed. In addition to the online petition, there is also a prewritten letter online you can send to Congress at https://www.battleforthenet.com/#bftn-action-form. You can also fill in your own message if you feel inclined to do so.

This is an important issue, as millions use the internet every day. Please use your voice, and speak out against these revisions. Without them, the internet becomes another way for companies to profit, and takes away the freedom of the its users.