New Faces, Stranger Places

Stranger Things 2 Review (No Spoilers)

Photo: The Independent. Stranger Things 2.

Tyler Didio, Staff Writer

Stranger Things 2 is finally upon us, and it is totally tubular. Fans have been waiting all year long to find out whether the second season would be just as good as the first. The directors of the show, Matt and Ross Duffer, came through with a great sequel. The whole idea of season two is to show how Will is feeling after he was taken by The Upside Down, and to show that The Upside Down is still present in Hawkins. This season, we also got to see some new faces. Sean Astin played Bob Newby, the corny boyfriend of Joyce Byers, and he did a fantastic job providing comedy relief in the story. We also got a couple new teenage characters in the story, Max (Sadie Sink) and Billy (Dacre Montgomery). They are step-brother and step-sister, and they moved to Hawkins, Indiana from California because their parents got a divorce. Max is the same age as Mike, Dustin, Lucas, Will, and Eleven (middle schoolers) in the story. Whereas Billy is the same age as Jonathan, Nancy, and Steven (high school seniors). We find out in the beginning that Billy is one of those slick, greasy, jerks that can do everything and always wants to be the best at whatever he does. We also find out that Billy is a very controlling person, because of how he treats his sister, Max. Mike, Dustin, Lucas, and Will are still together as they journey through their middle school life, while Eleven is still trapped. Obviously, Will has changed since he was captured by The Upside Down, and his

Photo: Bleeding Cool. Lucas (top left), Eleven (middle), Mike (top right), Will (bottom left), Dustin (bottom right).

mother (Joyce), Mr. Hopper, Jonathan, Bob, and the teenagers are all trying to help Will with his problem.

It was exciting to see Stranger Things make a sequel. Obviously, it was nerve-racking, because most sequels never live up to the same hype as the first one. However, Stranger Things 2 was different from those other sequels. The directors were able to create new characters and have them fit in perfectly with the original cast. They also did a great job of continuing the story, and not just starting a completely new one.. They were able to connect both seasons to each other, and it was perfect. But the one question we all must ask, “Could we see Stranger Things 3?”