All Heroes Unite!

Jose Ocelotl, Cartoonist, Staff Writer

The next installment of the Fire Emblem game franchise has finally been released. . . but it’s not the ordinary Fire Emblem game which some of the fans know. Instead, this game is heavily focusing on a hack-and-slash kind of mechanics like Hyrule Warriors and Dynasty Warriors, which was developed by Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja. Intelligent System who developed the entire series such as FE: Awakening, FE: Gaiden, and much more wasn’t involved with making the game but instead allow those two developers use their characters. So far, the game is currently standing on a 74 from Metacritic (Metacritic).

There are some bonuses if you preorder the game. Inside of the package, it comes with a two-sided poster of the history of the franchise in both in

All the goodies from the Special Edition (US Version).
Photo credit to vg247.com

English and Japanese. Secondly, the package also contains the character card set that holds all of the characters from the game as well the 3 CDs containing the game’s soundtrack. Lastly, the physical game cartridge itself. Surprisingly, on the Japanese version, there is also a higher tier which is called the Treasure Box Edition. Within the package, it contains everything from the previous tier, and adds an Art Book of the game alongside a glass-carved Dragon Stone. The price for this edition will cost you ¥15,800, which is roughly $139.31 (siliconera). Unfortunately, the Japanese and the United States special editions are no longer available.

For those wondering how the game runs and feels, the game feels pretty fun and addictive.

The protagonist holding the Shield of Seals.
Photo credit to mynintendonews.com

There are two kinds of fighting styles: a button mash or a combo like mechanic to fight your enemies. You can also order your teammates to go fight an enemy to take over their turf, or defend your own turf from enemies. As expected from a Fire Emblem game, there are two kinds of style to play on. Classic mode is where the game is less forgiving while on the other hand, casual mode is more forgiving to the player. There are some downsides of the game, which can be confusing to people who are not familiar with the Fire Emblem franchise.

The game itself has some tidbits of the RPG elements from the main series that may not be noticed if the player has never played a Warriors game before.

So, is this game worth it? The answer to that is up to you but for me, I would recommend this game if you enjoy the Fire Emblem franchise or any of the Warriors that has been created by Koei Tecmo. On the other hand, I would not recommend this game if you are not a fan of hack-and-slash games or repetitive fighting mechanics. This also includes veterans like Fire Emblem fans who prefer an actual Fire Emblem game that is turn-based.