Protesting Freedom

Protesting freedom in our country

Tyler Didio, Staff Writer

In 1893, Mohandas K. Gandhi refused to give up his seat on a train in South Africa and then was pushed off the train by guards (History.com). Why do we protest? What is our main objective? What are we getting out of it? These are questions some of us wonder about when it comes to protests. Whenever we turn the news on, we see people yelling into a camera and chanting things that only some of us can understand. Lately, we have started hearing many different opinions from many different people. Players in the NFL have been taking a knee during the national anthem, and anyone that watches the news or even lives in the world today, knows what is going on and why this country is filled with anger right now.

Photo: PennLive.com. Owner Jerry Jones and his Dallas Cowboys link arms and take a knee before the National Anthem.

In many cases, people have been furious with the protests because players are disrespecting the flag, and it’s wrong to do that with a country like this because it’s the “land of the free.” Some NFL teams though, found a solution for this problem last weekend. Instead of taking a knee during the anthem, they took one before the anthem, and then proceeded by locking arms in unity and stood tall for the song. So is everyone happy now? That answer is still in question and probably will be for a long time.

Photo: Washington Post. Oakland A’s catcher Bruce Maxwell is the first baseball player to take a knee during the anthem.

We always say that this country is the “land of the free”, and “I can do what I want to do ‘cause I’m an American”, but it sounds more like this country should be called “land of the me” with all of the anger and opinions. Listen, Mohandas Gandhi never set out to change the rules of transportation in South Africa. He wanted more than that, he wanted freedom, and he wanted all of his people to have a taste of that freedom. The same thing can be said for the protests today. Players are not standing for the racial equality going on in our country. They take a knee and give respect to the soldiers that have served this country and choose not to stand for the “freedom” in this country. What Gandhi wanted, was freedom and what Martin Luther King Jr. wanted, was freedom. What African Americans want today, is freedom. The freedom to do anything without any judgements or stereotypes. This can also be said for Muslims. Is it hard to change though? Of course it is hard to make change, because we have to develop new habits, new ideas, and a new life. Think about this, Chuck D, one of the greatest MC’s of all time, once said, “From the heart, it’s a start, a work of art to revolutionize. Make a change, nothin’s strange.” We all have differences. Whether it is a different gender, ethnicity, style, ability, story, etc. We are all people with one life on this Earth, so why do we try to ruin each other’s? Instead, we should enhance each other’s lives and make America what it should really be known as, “The Land of The Free”.

Photo: spin.com. Rapper Chuck D known for being in the rap group Public Enemy.