Mass Shooting At Las Vegas Concert

Largest Mass Shooting In U.S. History Injures 500

Police stand at the scene of the shooting. Photo credit to Foxnews.com.

Sophie West, Staff Writer

On October 1, a mass shooting occurred at a country music festival in Las Vegas. Over 22,000 people were in attendance (Nytimes.com). At least 58 people were killed, and over 500 injured (Cnn.com). The shooter was identified as Stephen Paddock, age 64, from Mesquite, Nevada. He had no previous criminal history (Nytimes.com). Paddock fired from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino (Cnn.com), and reports vary as to whether he was shot by police or shot himself before police entered the room (Nbcnews.com). Ten or more firearms were found in his hotel room, all of which appear to be purchased legally (Cnn.com). The shooting does not appear to be related to any international terrorist groups, and Paddock’s motives remain unknown (Nytimes.com).

People help a wounded woman. Photo credit to Foxnews.com.

The witness reports are horrifying. The shooting is believed to have lasted around ten minutes (Nbcnews.com). The music stopped at the sound of the first few shots, which were initially dismissed as firecrackers. Within seconds, everyone knew what was going on, and pandemonium ensued (Cbsnews.com). “It just kept coming,” witness Robyn Webb told the Las Vegas Review-Journal (Nytimes.com). Witness Jasmine Barbusca described seeing a man help women climb a fence to escape: “I don’t know who the man was, but he probably saved a good twenty women’s lives” (Abcnews.go.com). The police closed a mile of Las Vegas Boulevard, asking public to steer clear of the area, and “[h]ours later, much of the city remained at shut down” (Nytimes.com).

Nevada governor Brian Sandoval described the scene as a “war zone,” thanking the first responders for their bravery. “We are angry. We’re grieving. We’re confused. People are hurting…it’s unimaginable what people are going through right now,” he said (Cnn.com). Paddock’s brother told ABC News, “We have no idea why or how this happened…As far as we know, Steve was perfectly fine” (Abcnews.go.com). President Trump spoke publicly about this on Monday morning, calling the event “an act of pure evil” (Abcnews.go.com). Las Vegas sheriff Joe Lombardo stated that he didn’t know how the incident could have been prevented, as authorities had no previous knowledge of the killer (Cnn.com).

People scramble for shelter. Photo credit to Foxnews.com.

CNN details many incidents of bravery and charity. First responder Damon Schilling was quoted as saying “well over 120 ambulances” came to the scene last night. Many victims told the medics to help the severely wounded first, and some passersby offered their personal cars to help transport victims. Las Vegas mayor Carolyn Goodman stated on Monday morning that blood donations were a top need, and the response has been overwhelming (Cnn.com). President Trump ordered that the White House flag be flown at half-mast through Friday. This tragedy is reportedly the largest mass shooting in the history of the United States (Cnn.com).