It (2017) Movie Review

Jake Roushia, Editor-in-Chief

The movie It (2017) came out on September 8th, and is a reboot of the original T.V. made feature movie in 1990. The 1990 and 2017 versions all originated from Stephen King’s novel that came out in 1966. This review is spoiler-free and will only talk about minor details from the trailers and promotional material.

Although we have already seen It in a movie and novel, the 2017 version of It really stands out on its own. Each member of the cast has their own take on the characters, which actually improves the story instead of ruining the movie.

Instead of combining the two stories of the children and adult lives of the cast, the movie only focuses on the children. Many people complained that the original T.V. series movie kept taking viewers out of the immersion with all of the various flashbacks.

Bill Skarsgård’s version of Pennywise. Photo credit to Applauss.com

The children weren’t the only ones that got more attention. Pennywise, the main antagonist, seemed more fleshed-out and more sinister. Bill Skarsgård’s version of the character was more sinister in my opinion, compared to Tim Curry’s version that created a lot of laughable moments. Tim Curry was also scary, but each of the actors had a very different version of how to terrify children.

Pennywise wasn’t the only one that changed in the new adaptation of Stephen King’s It. The children’s conversations were a lot more believable, and actually made audience members laugh out loud. The comedy was a great tone to use as well, especially in between the jump scares or creepy moments.

Tim Curry’s version of Pennywise. Photo credit by Moviepilot.com.

The main concern with the original movie was that nobody was remarkably likable besides Tim Curry’s character, Pennywise the Dancing Clown. In 2017, I believe they really made the characters you are supposed to like, likable.

By contrast of likable characters, the parents and bullies of the movie are even more unlikable than the first adaptation. Without giving too much away, the bullies and parents, in theory are similar to obstacles in a kid’s life, but in this film they are extremes of both roles.

The film does have something special for the  people that either have watched the original T.V. series or plan to watch it. It has a lot of easter eggs and dialogue that will make you think back to the original. One aspect that the writers really nailed was the very quotable dialogue, just like the original.

The trailers for the movie depict It as being scary, but in reality, it is a thriller with jokes sprinkled throughout. It has a lot of creepy scenes and a few jump scares, and might disappoint if you are looking for a scary movie.

I would really recommend this movie for anybody that enjoys Stephen King stories or was a fan of the original It. If you are new to the story of It or any of Stephen King’s novels, it might take you a little bit to get use to his type of worlds. As a fan of the original It, I would rate the movie as a 9/10 and say it is better than the original.