Phi Theta Kappa’s End of Year Celebration

A Stellar End to A Stellar Year

Rory Gallagher, Staff Writer

Kishwaukee Community College board member, former faculty member, and namesake of a Kish PTK award, Terry Martin, shared the story of originally starting the Kish PTK Chapter with no officers and not much communication with the organization’s heads. Apparently, the chapter members had to pick up trash along the first paved mile of the Lincoln Highway in Malta. When asked for a comment for the Kaleidoscope, Mr. Martin praised the prior PTK experience of Jennifer Jossendahl, and said that while he did not know Dominica Blalock, “I believe that the new advisors of PTK will be a very successful pair.”

The special guest speaker, Dean Nancy Partch, thanked all members of the chapter profusely for balancing their academic and social work lives.

“I believe that every student in this room, beyond all else, wants to make a difference,” declared Dean Partch.

She listed the many charity activities undertaken by PTK this year, and complimented the chapter on being altruistic. Dean Partch specifically called out the cleaning of the ditches on the road to Kish, pointing out how it makes “every car on the road honk in gratitude for cleaning the area.”

Gabrielle Cultra, president of Kish’s PTK chapter, was given credit for her work on 8th Grade Career Day. She directed and assisted the young students so well, they spent all lunch period talking about how to help Kish’s enrollment. Dean Nancy Partch responded by running upstairs to the head of the Student Enrollment department, who she asked to talk to the students. The ensuing conversation lasted almost all of the remaining time in the lunch hour, to the point that the head of Student Enrollment had to tell Dean Partch that nothing had gone wrong. The conversation she was having with these teenagers just enthralled her that much!

After this speech, the new officers of the 2017-2018 School Year were sworn in. Acting officers Mahali Granados and Andrew Kozinski switched positions with each other. This made for a funny moment, after Mahali swore Andrew in as the new public relations officer, Andrew had to change places in order to swear Mahali in as the new recording officer.

Phil Oliver was sworn in by the illustrious Gabrielle Cultra as the new chapter president. Ethan Templeman-Brockwell was named the new vice president by Justin Otte. Finally, James Haberstitch became the new hallmark officer with the decree of Jashawna Roberts.

As a final changing of the guard, coordinator of student activities Allison Von Ende stepped down as chapter advisor. Von Ende handed the reigns to the two-woman team of math professor Dominica Blalock (pictured below) and history professor Jennifer Jossendal. The coming year of PTK will be all new and all different, but the spirit will remain as strong as it has in the past.