A Review of AJ Mendez Brooks’ “Crazy Is My Superpower”

Turns Out That The Book Is A Good Use of $25

Rory Gallagher, Staff Writer

Former professional wrestler April Jeanette “AJ” Mendez Brooks, also known as AJ Lee, grew up immensely poor in urban New Jersey, and ended up making women’s’ wrestling mainstream again. While her new novel, Crazy is My Superpower, suffers from the usual “first book problems”, it is a solid, crass, and a very funny read that tries hard to inspire all those who read it.

The major issue regarding the memoir is that the “rock bottom” climactic moment kicks off the second half of the book, which just makes for awkward pacing. AJ clearly intended for that moment to resonate, but since the book’s contents are made up of about one fifth inspirational lists, the reader is left a little underwhelmed over the last 110 pages of the book.

Due to the lack of tension, the recollections of her wrestling career are far less detailed than her stories of growing up. There are a couple of “in-ring” recollections, but nothing really groundbreaking. During her time in WWE, AJ was a positive employee with the company, and she is not the sort of person to name those who complained backstage.

On the opposite side, AJ is incredibly open in sharing her messed up journey, regarding pro wrestling as her last resort for success. She has talent in relating some obviously uncomfortable experiences and to not sugarcoat how badly she felt is rare for wrestling biographies.

If Bret Hart’s fantastic Hitman: My Real Life In The Cartoon World Of Wrestling has one recurring uncomfortable element, it has to be Hart making constant excuses about why his father, Stu Hart, was frequently rough on his children. AJ notes that her terrible situations were terrible, and while she explains family actions with other reasons, she always states when a mistake was their fault.

Crazy Is My Superpower is an easy reflection of AJ’s public personality. AJ writes from the heart, succeeds at being inspirational, and can only get better in her writing career. As every comic fan knows, an origin story can overshadow a character. Thankfully, AJ Mendez Brooks never comes off as a recursive kind of superhero.

“She was one of the most impressive female wrestlers in an era where women’s wrestling was considered an afterthought to the men’s division,” said Ben Buchanan, Psychology major. “Though her mainstream career was short, she is still one of the most talked about wrestlers in the recent history of WWE.”
Though the book is a solid eight out of ten, the internal illustrations by Rob Guillory and current ad campaign helped to boost it up to the runaway bestseller it currently is. The first day of Chicago’s entertainment convention C2E2, which starts this Friday, plans to have her as the big opening celebrity. This event expresses the desires that she portrayed in her book.