Hawks Sink Deeper Into Hole

Blackhawks lose game 3 in overtime

Ben Holda, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

The Blackhawks lost in overtime, 3-2 yesterday to the Nashville Predators.

The Blackhawks came into Nashville last night down two games to none, out scored seven to nothing, and made to look like a team who’s visiting the playoffs for the first time in their lives.

The Blackhawks left Nashville last night down three games to none, outscored 10-2, and looking slightly competitive.

Looking at the game, for the first time this series, a miracle appeared to have happened in the second period; the Blackhawks scored a goal, finally putting the puck past goaltender Pekka Rinne.

The Chicago Blackhawks came out swinging during their third encounter with the Preds. Scoring two goals during the second period, courtesy of Dennis Rasmussen and a power play goal from Patrick Kane respectively.

Unfortunately for the Blackhawks, the predators also struck iron during the third period with two questionable goals coming from Nashville left winger Filip Forsberg.

The first goal received a review from the NHL headquarters in Toronto due to claims of the puck hitting the netting above the glass panes, thus leaving the field of play before bouncing in front of the Blackhawks goal for the easy tap in.

The second goal which was not reviewed, was an uncalled Obstruction of the Goaltender foul. A Nashville player collided with Chicago goaltender Corey Crawford, knocking him off balance and allowing for Filip to slot the puck into goal.

With the game tied at two apiece after 3 periods, the two teams experienced overtime for the first time this postseason.

Overtime is special in the NHL, it is set up like a normal period of play, 5v5 hockey, 20 minute play clock, and the two teams switch which half of the ice they are defending going into the period.

The main key difference in overtime hockey is that it is goldengoal, A.K.A. “Next goal wins!” It does not matter if it takes 5 seconds, or five additional periods, the two teams keep playing until someone scores.

Overtime begins, the tension is hot, and the two teams battle it out, knowing that their next mistake could be their last for this game.

Eventually the deadlock was broken 16 minutes and 44 seconds into the clash by Nashville winger, Kevin Fiala. With that goal, the hole for the Blackhawks was just dug a couple feet deeper.

Game 4, which will be played on Thursday, April 20th, at 7:00 pm, is win or go home for head coach Joel Quenneville’s boys. The Blackhawks have gone 0-3 in a playoff series before to force a game 7, against the Vancouver Canucks, having won games 4,5 and 6, but losing game 7.

It is possible, but it is going be hard. There is officially no more room for error.