MLB Opening Day

Michael Kennedy, Staff Writer

The first games of the regular season started on April 2, 2017 for the MLB. The first game was the New York Yankees and the Tampa Bay Rays. The Rays won with a score of 7 to 3. The Rays had 13 hits and only one error. Morrison had 3 hits with 3 RBI’s (Runs Batted In).  The starting pitcher for the Rays was Archer. He pitched 7 innings and only gave up 2 runs. The Yankees had 9 hits and 1 error. Castro and Headley both had 3 hits and 1 strikeout for the New York Yankees. The starting pitcher for the Yankees was Tanaka. He took the lose for the game with a 7 ERA (Earned Run Average).

The second game of the night was the San Francisco Giants versus the Arizona D-backs. The D-backs won with a score of 6 to 5. The D-backs had 13 hits and no errors. Pollock and Mathis both had 3 hits and no strikeouts. The starting picture was Greinke; he pitched 5 innings and only gave up 2 runs. For the Giants, Nunez, Crawford, Span, and Bumgarner all had the most hits for their team. Nunez had 3 hits while the others only had 2 hits. Bumgarner was the starting pitcher for the Giants. He pitched 7 innings and only gave up 3 runs and one homerun.

The last game of April 2, 2017 was between the Chicago Cubs and the St. Louis Cardinals. The Cardinals won with a score of 4 to 3. Cardinals hd 11 hits while the Cubs only had 8 hits. Grichuk, Molina, and Diaz all had 2 hits for the Cardinals. Martinez started on the mound for the Cardinals. He was able to hold the Cubs to zero points.e For the Cubs, the leading hitter were Schwarber, Contreras, and Baez. Schwarber and Contreras had 2 hits while Baez only had 1 hit. The starting pitcher was Lester and pitched 5 innings while only giving up 1 run.

The first game of April 3, 2017 was the Miami Marlins against the Washington Nationals. The Nationals won with a score against of 4 to 2. Realmuto and Volquez were the top batters for the Marlins. They both had 2 hits. The starting pitcher for the Marlins was Volquez. He pitched 5 innings while not giving up any runs. On the Nationals side, Murphy and Zimmerman, both had 2 hits on the day. The starting pitcher was Strasburg and gave up 2 runs against the Marlins.

The Braces and the Mets faced each other. The score was 6 to 0 in favor of the Mets. The top hitters on the Braves were Freeman with 3 hits, Flowers, Phillips, Kemp, and Swanson all with one hit each. The Starting pitcher was Teheran; he pitched 6 innings and gave up no runs. The top hitters for the Mets were Cabrera with 3 hits, Granderson, Duda, Rivera, Syndergaard all with 1 hit each. Syndergaard was the starting pitcher for the Mets, pitching 6 innings and giving up no runs.

The Red Sox faced the Pirates. The Red Sox won with a score of 5 to 3. Freese was the top hitter with 2 hits on the Pirates team. Everyone else but Marte and McCutchen got a hit. The starting pitcher was cole; he pitched 5 innings while giving up 5 runs. For the Sox, Bogaerts and Leon were the top hitters on the team with two hits a piece. Everyone else but Moreland got a hit for the Red Sox. Porcello was the starting pitcher for the Sox. He pitched 6 innings while only giving up 3 runs.

Rockies won against the Brewers 7 to 5. The Brewers had 7 hits. Two of the hits came from Shaw. Shaw was the best hitter on the team against the Rockies. Guerra started on the mound for the Brewers and pitched 3 innings while giving up 2 runs. On the Rockies side, Arenado, Perra, Reynolds, and Wolters were the top hitters with 2 hits. Gray was the starting pitcher for the Rockies; he pitched 4 innings and gave up 5 runs.

The Dodgers went against the Padres. The Dodgers won with a score of 14 to 3. The Padres top hitters were Margot with one hit, Solarte with one hit, Schimpf with 2 hits, and Jankowski with one hit. Chacin started on the mound and last 3 innings. He gave up 9 runs in the 3 innings he pitched. On the Dodgers side, the top hitters are: Toles with 2 hits, Seager with 2 hits, Turner with 3 hits, Gonzalez with one hit, Forsyth with one hit, Pederson with one hit, Grandal with 2 hits, Puig with one hit, and Kershaw with one hit. Kershaw lasted 7 innings on the mound for the Dodgers and only gave up 2 runs.

Source: https://www.mlb.com/scores