Having trouble with classes? Go to the Learning Skills Center

Hailey Dickman, Staff Writer

Kane Rodriguez – who is a math, calculus, and physics tutor – helps Jeremy Fountain with math.  Photo by Matthew Simonson.
Kane Rodriguez – who is a math, calculus, and physics tutor – helps Jeremy Fountain with math. Photo by Matthew Simonson.

The Learning Skills Center (LSC) is a space dedicated to helping students learn and succeed in their classes. The LSC is located in A1300—the room across from the diversity center. It is open from 8:00am to 7:00pm Monday through Thursday and from 8:00am to 4:00pm on Friday. Tutoring services are free, and tutors are available to help with most subjects.  Students do not have to be failing a class to get help from the tutors; everyone is welcome. I work as a tutor for psychology, sociology, MAT 065-066, and English in the LSC.

The Learning Skills Center houses Testing Services, where students can take makeup tests and placement tests. The LSC also has three academic labs: the Writing Lab, the Math Lab, and the computer lab.

Phyllis Barshinger, the Coordinator of Tutoring Services, commented that “tutors in the Writing Lab are available for all writing needs across the curriculum” and that they “encourage advancement” in students’ writing processes.  In the Writing Lab, students can receive help with technical writing and personal writing, like for personal letters and resumes.

“The tutors in the Math Lab are embedded tutors” for MAT 065-066 and MAT 085-086 Barshinger commented, which means those students sit in on those classes and have office hours in the Math Lab. Along with the tutors available in the Math Lab, there are also usually math tutors sitting at tables in the LSC who are available to help with more math related questions.

The Learning Skills Center is located in A1300. The door now has a pink sign on it to promote group study sessions.  Photo by Matthew Simonson.
The Learning Skills Center is located in A1300. The door now has a pink sign on it to promote group study sessions. Photo by Matthew Simonson.

The computer lab that is in the Learning Skills Center has twelve stations. It is available for everyone to use; however, Phyllis Barshinger does stress that the computers are “only for academic use.”

Students can bring friends to the LSC and have group study sessions with tutors, and there are individual study rooms in the LSC. Students do not have to make an appointment with a tutor in order to get help, but if for those who do prefer to make appointments, the LSC’s phone number is (815)825-2086 and the extension is 3880.

News and updates about the Learning Skills Center and office hours and tutors’ schedules are available on “the Portal,” or students’ KC accounts, under student resources, Learning Skills Center, and tutoring, or students can come into the LSC and ask someone at the front desk for a hard copy of any of these schedules.

For more questions about the LSC, and tutoring services specifically, feel free to contact Phyllis Barshinger through her email [email protected] or her extension 2290, and she will be happy to answer any questions.

The Learning Skills Center is a great resource for all students, and tutors are literally sitting in the LSC waiting to help people.