The Shawshank Suspension

Shaw Gets One-Game Ban After Game 4

Ben Holda and Andrew Bland

Chicago Blackhawks right wing Andrew Shaw, right, is hit by St. Louis Blues right wing Troy Brouwer during the second period in Game 4 of an NHL hockey first-round Stanley Cup playoff series Tuesday, April 19, 2016, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh). Photo credit to Chicago Suntimes

Chicago Blackhawks right wing Andrew Shaw, right, is hit by St. Louis Blues right wing Troy Brouwer during the second period in Game 4 of an NHL hockey first-round Stanley Cup playoff series Tuesday, April 19, 2016, in Chicago. Photo/caption credit to Chicago Suntimes.

As if going 3-1 down against the blues in the series wasn’t bad enough, the Chicago Blackhawks will now have to play the next game without one of our better Right Wings, Andrew Shaw.

During Game 4 in Chicago last Tuesday, many things went wrong for the Blackhawks, from going down 3-1 in the second period, to the goalie Corey Crawford getting into a fight mid-game, the worst thing that happened was by far the way that Andrew Shaw reacted to receiving a penalty in the Second Period.

While on his way to the Penalty box, Right Wing Andrew Shaw decided to show his opinion to the referee’s decision on the penalty, and by doing so he showed the referee his two favorite fingers.

Image credit to nbcchicago.com.

Though that in of itself is bad, it got worse. While in the Box Andrew Shaw threw homophobic slurs towards both the referees and some of the St. Louis Blues players that were passing by. Despite that, he continued to play the rest of the period, and the game.

Andrew Shaw later received a $5,000 fine, and a one game suspension. This suspension is harmful to the blackhawks because of how much Andrew Shaw helps on the offense, with a goal and an assist in game 4, Andrew Shaw is a big piece in the offense.

According to NHL.com, In the regular season Shaw played 78 games, with 14 goals, and 20 assists, 2 of those goals were game winners. In the offseason, Shaw has recorded 2 goals and 2 assists in 4 games. In his playoff career, Shaw has played 65 games, with 14 goals and 19 assists, and 2 game winners.

If the Blackhawks want any chance of winning the series, they will need to play a more solid offense and hope the defense can hold the team together. If not, the season will be over for the Chicago Blackhawks.