Tips for Transferring

Angela Scroggins, Public Relations Manager

Image credit to byui.edu.

Image credit to byui.edu.

Transferring to a University is difficult, because there is a lot you have to do to prepare yourself for the change. Getting your “dream education” will require you to begin taking action long before you transfer. Unfortunately, there aren’t very many places that will give a comprehensive list of even the most basic steps that need to be taken.

One of the first things you’ll need to do, of course, is to pick what school you want to attend. When it comes to picking the school you want to  attend, explore all of your options, and pick one that has a reputable program for your major.

Image credit to dvc.edu.

Image credit to dvc.edu.

However, once you have found a school that you think would be a good fit, it’s always a good idea to apply to more colleges than just that one, just to keep your options open.

After you have applied and been accepted into one of the schools of your choice, the school will usually send you pamphlets with information about their academic programs, financial aid, school and their campus life. Then, they will request that you to send them all of your educational information.

When they receive this information, they will proceed to set up an orientation session. Orientation can be a day-long event that is there to help answer any questions or concerns you may have, as well as showing you around the school.

When all is said and done, you should apply for FAFSA and any scholarships that may or may not pertain to you. That way, you have the chance to pay less for your education, so you are not drowning in student debt forever.

When it comes to deciding what your next steps should be (such as deciding what classes to take), meeting with a counselor can really help point you in the right direction. Counselors are there to help you pick the classes you need to take or are interested in taking. Ask as many questions as possible as they can only help you. When you do figure out your classes, go to the campus, and figure out where they are so you are not wandering around on the first day.

The best advice I can give to you is to make sure you are as prepared as possible. Good luck on this new chapter in your life!