Frequently Asked Questions

The Kaleidoscope… what is it?

This website is Kishwaukee College’s student-run, online newspaper. After being on a hiatus for a year, the paper was rebooted to an online platform in the spring of 2015. The website has come a long way since its launch in March – even drawing the attention of The Daily Chronicle after less than 2 months of operation!

If you click on the logo at the top of this page, you’ll be taken to the Kaleidoscope’s home page.  Take a look around and see what you think!

What does “student-run” mean?

All editorial decisions are made by student Editors; the adviser serves to instruct and make recommendations, but does not run (or censor) the paper.  The Kaleidoscope is a student-only voice.

What roles are offered?

The Kaleidoscope is always in need of students to fill the following positions:

• Staff Writer
  • Editor
  • Photographer
  • Cartoonist
  • Graphic Designer/Layout Specialist
  • Video Producer

How can I join the Kaleidoscope staff?

Left to Right: Hayden Perkins, Matthew Simonson, Sam Bybee, and Guadalupe Rangel working in the Kaleidoscope office last semester. (Photo courtesy of Danielle Guerra, Daily Chronicle; edited.)

Staff members working in the Kaleidoscope office shortly after our digital reboot. (Photo courtesy of Danielle Guerra, Daily Chronicle; edited.)

Anyone who wants to get involved with the Kaleidoscope can register for COM 151, Publications Productions I. Students may repeat the class by registering for COM 152 and 153.

Although the Kaleidoscope is technically three courses (each worth one credit), those courses are embedded together in a single class. Students from all three courses meet together on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30pm.

Who can be a part of the Kaleidoscope staff?

Any current student at Kishwaukee College can join the newspaper staff!

Do I need any previous experience?

No previous experience is necessary! There are no prerequisites for COM 151. Prior experience is preferred for students who wish to enter a leadership role, but it is not a requirement.

What kind of technology is used for production?

Students use Apple iMac computers during the weekly meetings. Staff writers are encouraged to use Microsoft Word to write their articles, for the purpose of easily accessing drafts on both Windows and Macintosh computers. Editing tasks are typically performed on Google Docs. All web design functions are performed on the Kaleidoscope’s “School Newspapers Online” (SNO) platform.

When are meetings scheduled?

Currently, the meetings are scheduled for 3:30pm – 5:00pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Keep in mind that participation involves more than attending meetings. Staff members (students enrolled in the class) must frequently write stories, interview people, take photographs, etc.

What will I gain from the experience?

Joining the Kaleidoscope will allow you to “test the waters” of a career that you may be interested in. And if the field doesn’t turn out to be what you hoped, it’s better to find out now.

Extracurricular activities look great on résumés, too – especially if you ultimately decide to make a career in the same field. Joining the Kaleidoscope could jump-start your career!

Contact Information

If this webpage didn’t answer all of your questions, feel free to contact us at [email protected] for more information.