Man Versus Nature—a Bittersweet Outlook

Global carbon dioxide release by country

earth.rice.edu

Ava Johnson, Staff Writer

Man Versus Nature—a Bittersweet Outlook

It has been 24 days since schools around the country began to clear away thousands of students and 23 days since the streets began to be less occupied, now without the hustle and bustle of commuters.

Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the global circumstances seem to be surreal, yet, there appears to be a gift the Earth is unwrapping through the madness of fear and frustration.

There has been a rise of information that supports the Earth has suffered quite a bit of abuse – at the hands of humans – through day-to-day living. The means of human commodities come by way of pollution and sometimes even contribute greatly to global warming.

Alanna Shaikh, global health expert and published author said, “ -we would still have outbreaks. The choices were making about how we occupy this planet make that inevitable.”– The statement is referring to the foreign terrestrial territories we invade and the unlearned bacteria and animals that human beings encounter—an eye-opening fact.

A deeper look at “carbon footprint” co2living.com

As a result of the shelter in place order sent out by officials to most parts of the world, China has seen a 21.5% increase of “good quality air days” compared to where they were this time last year. Similar numbers were seen in Italy, and more are likely to be recorded around the world.  The more green-house gases, such as carbon dioxide, are released through coal and oil burning, the more heat is being trapped on the Earth’s surface and the warmer the atmosphere and planet becomes. So, good air quality means lower levels of CO2 and less global warming.

Unfortunately, there is more plastic being used nationally as it is putting less people at risk of coming in contact with the virus than other, reusable options. Amid the peak of COVID-19, this higher use of plastic is a sacrifice that must be made in hopes to bring the novel virus to a halt. Scientists are looking to measure and release more results of the Earth’s repair processes later this month.