“Let’s Vote” Community & Campus Event

Amerald Wheatley-Johnson, Editor-In-Chief

On February 12, the Student Government Association co-sponsored their “Let’s Vote 2020” event. At this event, students of Kishwaukee College and the surrounding community are welcomed into the Student Lounge where they can learn how to register to vote and can be provided with different politically-neutral sources. Within these sources, there are tools that compare possible 2020 Presidential candidates and review their stances on issues and topics based on quotes that they have made in speeches or surveys that they have taken. 

“Let’s Vote 2020” is a free event and the goal is to raise political awareness, while also getting voters comfortable with seeking resources where they can get more informed and subsequently more involved with the election.

The volunteers at the event are The League of Women Voters of DeKalb County, Mary Cozad, Cynthia de Seife, Kay Shelton Kozak and Brandon McCullough– a mixture of community members and KC staff. They walk students through the websites provided and answer any questions that they may have about registering to vote and/or upcoming elections. After the session, the attendees are asked to fill out a brief survey. The survey is quick and if submitted, they will receive a voucher for a free meal in the KishCafe.

There will be two more “Let’s Vote 2020” events. The next one will take place in the Student Lounge on February 18 from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. The last “Let’s Vote” will occur on February 24 from 9 a.m.-2 p.m.