“Blind Date with a Book” Campus Event

Mary Vowels, Staff Writer

The student workers in the library have been working hard wrapping gifts! It’s not because it’s Christmas, but it’s because it’s Valentine’s Day, and the library is hosting an event called “Blind Date with a Book”. The event started on February 10th and the book display will be set up until February 21st.

Upon walking into the library, there is a heart-themed table full of books that you can choose from. They are wrapped with a typed note on the front that gives you a brief description of the book. This is all the information given to help you choose your ‘date’. The books included are several different genres of literature. You may pick up a mystery, romance or maybe even science-fiction. The book number is printed on the wrapping, so not even the librarian knows what book you picked. It’s a ‘blind date’! After three weeks with your ‘date’, you have to return it.

It may interest you to know that our library isn’t the only library to do this. According to Kallen Terry, one of her co-workers got the idea from another library who ran this type of event a few years with great success. Our library hopes to continue this in years to come depending upon student engagement. If you get a chance this week, stop by the library and ‘check it out’!