Career Center’s “Open House”

Ava Johnson, Staff Writer

This past Wednesday, Kaleidoscope visited the Career Center for their “Open House” event! The team had refreshments on display as student after student signed in. There was much to offer: from resume and interview workshops to a live representative from a local employer.

The event showed off the very spacious, new renovation of the office, and was a platform for information about the upcoming 2020 Census. The numbers collected for the national survey affect the seats assigned per state to The House of Representatives and locally affect funds for financial aid per institution.

“It allocates funds to certain cities so that they can determine…what they need to do to prepare for natural disasters”, Amanda Kost said “…how much funding they need to fix roads, economic development and actually, if a county doesn’t have every one fill out a Census, they can lose money…”.

The Career Center will also be hosting a “Trivia Night” on March 03, 2020, from 4:30p.m. until 6:30p.m. During that time people of all ages are invited to come out and learn more about the importance of being counted.

“There will be fun, food, and giveaways!”, LaCretia Konan added.

In addition to the information provided about the 2020 Census, there was also a Tyson Foods recruit in attendance that informed students about 34 open positions. Employees are eligible to be reimbursed for tuition up to $5,000 per school year after one year on the job.

The Career Center’s next event, “Explore the Trades with Kishwaukee College”, will be held on February 18, 2020, from 9:00a.m. until 11:30a.m. in the Conference Center. The Q&A session will feature union trade members from various fields.