Being Prepared For Winter

With finals ending and winter right around, it’s important to remember to be prepared for anything and everything. Read on to know what to keep in your car in case of an emergency.

Kayla Mingus, Copy Editor

Well folks. The time is upon us. Fall Semester is almost over and the crazy blizzards will be here before you know it. Do you have an emergency kit inside your car, ready to tackle the most bizzare problems? If you don’t, it’s better to be prepared now before the snow hits. Below are some key items you’ll want to have stored in the back of your car. 

• A Scraper.

This one should be obvious, but it’s surprising how many people don’t have one. This item is used before you even leave the driveway or parking lot. Don’t wait for your defrosters to melt some of the ice while your wipers are on full blast trying to clear your window! Go out and buy an ice scraper – you’ll be thankful! 

• A Bag of Salt

This one isn’t as obvious, but is still needed. If you end up off the road, stuck in ice with your tires spinning endlessly, the salt will break up the ice and help get traction. It’s also useful for salting your driveway so you are able to actually get to the car. You can also used cat litter as a replacement for salt. 

• Extra Blankets!

Be sure to keep lots of blankets in your car. You never know how long you’ll be stuck there and keeping the engine running the whole time isn’t a good idea. You want to make sure you have enough gas for when the tow truck comes to rescue you. Along these lines, keep an extra charger somewhere in your car. Wouldn’t want your phone to die in the middle of an emergency!

• DIY Roadside Assistance Car Emergency Kit. 

You can buy these kits – but they are pricey. Amazon sells some for $140.50 but most college students don’t have that much money just laying around. However, you or someone you know might have some of the items in the kit that would allow you to make your own. Such items you could put in this kit would be: a first aid kit, gloves with gripping palm, a LED flashlight, a raincoat,  a tire pressure gauge (this should be in your car anyway!), and jumper cable sets. For more ideas, simply look up DIY car emergency kit.

• Reminders!!

Many people think they know what to do in case of an accident but honestly? All that gets thrown out the window! Most people react without thinking but it’s important to know what to do after you’ve gone off the road. First, be sure to check that your taillight is not covered with snow. After you’ve done this, get back in your car and call the police. Be sure to tell them whether it’s a serious emergency or not. If your car needs to be towed – but you’re out of the way for traffic and you aren’t hurt – then it’s not an emergency. Relax, don’t panic, and remember everything will okay. If you want to know more, be sure to do lots of research.

Be safe out there, and have a happy holiday!