The Do’s and Don’ts of Junior College

Follow these tips and your time at a junior college will be a breeze!

chicagonow.com

chicagonow.com

Amerald Wheatley-Johnson, Editor-in-Chief

1. DO: Get involved.

Know what’s what on campus.  It’s never too early to start building your resume!  Find out more about your desired major and join clubs/organizations that are similar to or associated with it.

1. DON’T: Wait until the last minute.

If college was a book, your time at a junior college is the preface.  Even though you’re knocking out your general education credits, you should focus on perfecting your time management and solidifying healthy study habits.

1. DO: Put yourself out there.

Now’s the time to make new friends and try new things.  It doesn’t matter if your junior college is in the same town as your high school or has a lot of familiar faces, you can still try new things and provoke your growth into adulthood.  Don’t be afraid to switch it up!

1. DON’T: Be discouraged.

Rather you’re 29 or 59, junior colleges are a launching pad for development and growth!  Don’t feel obligated to compare yourself to others.  Maybe it’s your 1st semester or maybe it’s your 6th, everyone’s working to better themselves.  Draw inspiration from the diversity instead!

1. DO: Be engaged.

You’re not going to love every course, instructor or professor, but you can draw useful life lessons from all 3.  Keep an open mind and participate.

1. DON’T: Put a time restraint on yourself.

Sometimes you change your plans.  Things happen.  What matters is that you’re giving your all and progressing in some way, but there is no place that you’re “supposed” to be.  You are where you’re meant to be.

1. DO: Be comfortable in your own skin.

Not only does this confidence help you connect with others, but a wise man once told me that “Success comes from relationships with those around you”.  Your self-esteem generally reflects the health of your relationships and this is important, because you are what you choose to surround yourself with.

1. DON’T: Be afraid to ask questions/for help.

The community and staff are there to assist you in reaching your goals!  They’ve been through the process of going to college and, sometimes, more than once!  If you need help and ask for it, you’ll be surprised by how many people will be there for you in your time of need.