United Airlines Under Public Scrutiny

United Airlines faces public disapproval once again after crew-members were videotaped dragging a passenger off of a boarding flight.

Abigail Carlson, Public Relations Manager

In lieu of the most recent United Airlines controversy, the airline is now taking serious precautions and undergoing policy changes to ensure that no passenger is ever violently removed from their seat by crewmembers again.  Oscar Munoz, the CEO of United Airlines issued yet another worldwide apology, saying, “I continue to be disturbed by what happened on this flight, and I deeply apologize to the customer forcibly removed and to all the customers aboard. No one should ever be mistreated this way.”

This is not the first time United Airlines has made headlines. Earlier this year, the airline made news when an onlooker witnessed women being denied access to their flight because they were not dressed in proper attire. Already under scrutiny by the public, this most recent incident has only created more tension with the public and staff of United, resulting in CEO Oscar Munoz taking immediate action and trying to preserve the reputation of the airline.

Dr.Dao forcefully be removed from his seat by crewmembers of Flight 3411. Photo courtesy of nydailynews.com

To recap, on Sunday, April 9th, four crewmembers apart of United Airlines boarded a supposed overbooked flight heading to Louisville, Kentucky and had flight attendants remove passengers from their paid seats to make room for the staff.  Four passengers of the departing flight from Chicago O’Hare were asked to give up their seats in exchange for a $1000 in compensation for their corporation. Among those four passengers was David Dao, who kindly refused to give up his seat.

Dao declined to give up his seat to the crewmembers, stating that he was a physician and had to get back home to meet with his patients the next day. When officials continued to press the issue at hand, Dao still declined offering up his seat, thus resulting in his violent removal from Flight 3411 by staff. Several passengers documented the removal of Dao by crewmembers, showing them forcefully removing him his seat and later being dragged down the aisle of the plane. These videos have since went viral and caused in uproar with people all over the world.

Eyewitnesses of the incident such as Jason Powell recalled Dao being very respectful when asked to give up seat.

“He was very polite, matter-of-fact,” Powell said. “He was acting appropriately annoyed. I was 100% with him, I wouldn’t have gotten off the plane either.”

Since the incident, it has been rumored that the airline has changed policies and is no longer going to be taking seats from consumers. The airline also assured consumers that they are investigating the event thoroughly and is currently under review by the U.S. Department of Transportation on whether or not the airline properly complied with consumer protections regulations. The department said, “While it is legal for airlines to involuntary bump passengers from an oversold flight when there are not enough volunteers, it is the airline’s responsibility to determine its own fair boarding priorities.”