Nintendo Switch

I first look at a new system

Ben Holda, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Most consoles tend to bolster their graphics, high resolutions, or massive library of games. That trend tends to not be Nintendo’s style, however.

Nintendo has pulled a Nintendo yet again; instead of going along just updating their new console with the best graphics chip, or the newest FPS (First Person Shooter). Nintendo decided to innovate rather then follow, with their new console the Nintendo Switch.

The Nintendo Switch has essentially been dubbed What the Wii U should have been. The system is a screen with two detachable controllers (Joy-Cons) on either side. The entire system can mount into a dock and be played on a TV or screw (through an HDMI cable), or you can play on the go with the screen and controllers wherever.

Photo Courtesy of Forbes.com.

From a distance the system looks like it’s a hybrid of a Wii U gamepad and a 3DS, but once you detach the Joy-Con controllers from the screen; you can use them as Wii remote type controls, or hold them sideways to get two functional controllers.

The way games are played is also counter intuitive to the mainstream gaming industry in its way the games are designed. The Switch uses a cartridge based system for reading game data (as opposed to the more orthodox disk style that is accepted today).

The most anticipated game to release with the Switch is The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Which is the newest installment in the Zelda franchise, co-releasing on both the Switch and the Wii U. Though many other games are set to release by year’s end. At the time of writing this article only 9 games are commercially available (with 4 of them being digital exclusive).

The Switch does not come pre packed with a game, unlike its Wii and Wii U predecessors, but the closest thing to it is the game 1-2 Switch. 1-2 Switch is essentially a tech demo disguised as a game, with many party game type mini games that are designed to show off the Joy-Con’s gyroscope and use of rumble technology to be able to accurately distinct the feeling of multiple objects and situations.

The Nintendo Switch has a starting MSRP (Marketing’s Suggested Retail Price) of $299. Significantly cheaper than other modern consoles, but you will need to buy some accessories if you want the optimal gaming experience for the system.

Overall, the Switch is a good console for the price, and it has the potential to be a game changer in the gaming industry for the near future.