First eSport Tournament Streamed in Virtual Reality

ESL One New York Counter Strike Tournament

Jake Roushia, Editor

On September 30th, the ESL One New York Counter Strike Tournament kicked off. Eight teams competed for a prize pool of $250,000. The teams were Natus Vincere, Virtus.pro, Sk, Liquid, fnatic, OpTic, Astralis, and G2. The teams came from all over, including Europe, South America, and North America. Each team comprised of five players competing against another team.

The game they played was Counter Strike. Counter Strike is a team based First Person Shooter. Each match consists of rounds, where each player has one life. The players try to kill every other player or complete the objective. The objective depends on the team you are on. The objective for the terrorists is to plant the bomb and the objective for the counter terrorists is to not allow them to plant the bomb.

G2, OpTic, Astralis, fnatic, SK Gaming, Virtus.pro, Natus Vincere, and Team Liquid all competed against each other to see who would make it to the Semi Finals. Two teams would compete against each other at a time. There were nine games on September 30th and eight games on October 1st. All of the games before the Semi-Finals were only one round, once the Semi-Finals started they were all three rounds.

Sk Gaming, Virtus.pro, Natus Vincere, and Team Liquid all made it to the Semi-Finals on October 2nd. Sk Gaming and Virtus.pro went head to head, and Virtus.pro went on to the finals with a 2 to 1 victory. Team Liquid and Natus Vincere were next on stage. Natus Vincere went on to face Virtus Pro in the finals by beating NaVi with a 2 to 1 win.

Photo Credit to En.esl-one.com.

Photo Credit to En.esl-one.com.

Natus Vincere and Virtus.pro went on to face each other later that night. It was a hard fought match, but Natus Vincere came on top with a 2 to 1 victory. Natus Vincere won the first place prize of $125,000, and the rest of the prize money was divided up between the rest of the teams in smaller denominations.

The event had 14,000 people in attendance each day which was 4,000 more than more than last year’s attendance. They also broadcasted to 31.4 million households across the world according to the Scoresports.com. This year’s broadcasting was special because it was able to broadcast in virtual reality, so anybody with a virtual reality device could view it. People could watch the event on YouTube and Twitch.tv aswell.

eSports events such as these have been more and more popular. ESPN, Yahoo, and other companies have been hiring sports analysts to cover events like ESL One New York. More and more games are added as well, Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas (MOBAs), Real Time Strategy Games (RTSs), Fighting Games are also part of the eSport roster. Crowds, prize pools, and online viewers continue to grow as the years go on. As eSports gain in popularity, more and more people are recognizing eSports as a serious industry.