The Cruiserweight Classic: Mainstream Pro Wrestling’s Best Achievement In 2016

Beyond Just That Its Whole Color Scheme is Purple

Rory Gallagher, Staff Writer

2016 will go down as one of the greatest years in pro wrestling history. As of the time of this writing, five of the biggest championships in World Wrestling Entertainment (the WWE World Title, WWE Universal Title, Smackdown Women’s’ Title, NXT Championship Title, and NXT Women’s’ Championship Title) are being held by five people who would have been considered low rent independent league talent less than half a decade ago.

In a funny metaphysical sense, the WWE World Heavyweight Title has been recently been held by three of the least Hulk Hogan-esque figures, and the “heavyweight” adjective is starting to mean less and less in the main event scene. In short, the idea of the biggest wrestlers having to need the biggest muscles is starting to go extinct, and to really illustrate that, there is no better and inventive program that WWE has done then this year’s first ever Cruiserweight Classic tournament (which is abbreviated as “the CWC” because three letters always looks cooler for a wrestling abbreviation, no matter what proper grammar says).

Photo from TJ Perkins' Instagram account @megatjp.

Photo from TJ Perkins’ Instagram account @megatjp.

There is no better metaphor to use when describing the CWC than that it felt like a real life Street Fighter tournament. Thirty-two independent stars from not only the USA, but just about every inhabited continent, were called up to show their moves and fight their way towards being the last competitor to the most infamous and indie-friendly audience the WWE has on hand: the developmental league NXT’s usual crowd at Orlando, Florida’s Full Sail University.

And if you were wondering if any moves were shown off, rest assured that in the first match on the first episode, the guy who lost the match, Alejandro Saez of Chile, pulled off a running Shooting Star press, an aerial flip splash attack where one curves their body like a bat with no movement from themselves, off of the side of wrestling ring to the outside at his opponent. The tournament became legitimate in a heartbeat, and the announcer team of corny reference loving MMA commentator Mauro Ranallo & fan favorite retired wrestler Daniel Bryan just clicked from the start.

There were surprises in the roster, such as the English wrestler Jack Gallagher, whose dorky strongman look and humorously friendly nature disguised the fact that he knew a submission for every tactic his opponents had. There were some match of the year candidates, like well known Ring Of Honor star Cedric Alexander going in as the underdog with a game plan against a seemingly perfect Japanese wrestling being Kota Ibushi, or best friends & tag team partners Johnny Gargano & Tommaso Ciampa beating the snot out of each other for a spot in the semifinals.

In the ending event on this past Wednesday, it came down to four men: Kota Ibushi (probably the best unsigned wrestler in Japan), Zack Sabre Jr. (a kind of prep-school bully seeming English submission expert), Gran Metalik (a 10 year veteran of mexican Lucha Libre currently working in Japan), and TJ Perkins (a Filipino-American submission expert who “dabbed” during every match to anger the crowd).

After two of the hardest matches of his life, TJ Perkins walked away the champion with a big trophy made by Orange County Choppers, a medal, and the newly reminted WWE Cruiserweight Championship title. If anyone is interested on learning about what happens next, tune in to RAW this Monday on the USA Network at 7pm, or like most pro wrestling fans, just read about the next day, as RAW is three hours long and usually hard to sit through. Regardless, 2016 has done some amazing things, and hopefully the Cruiserweight Classic will be remembered for many years to come.