Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox Leading Stats

Skyler O'Hern, Editor

Chicagosidesports.com

Chicagosidesports.com

It has been a great baseball season thus far for our Windy City. Both teams have been making us proud with the start of the season. Only one month into the season, both Chicago teams have the best records in both the National and American Leagues. The teams loses combined are still less than the New York Yankees losses this season.

Chicago White Sox

The Sox are ranked 13th for batting averages, but overall they have been a great hit this season. At bat, they’ve had a total of 31 home runs (as of May 10th), 12 stolen bases, and 130 RBI’s. Todd Frazier is leading the Sox with 10 home runs and 27 RBI’s, Melky Cabrera leads our Sox with the batting average of .298, and Adam Eaton covers their OBP at .386 and the total of 37 hits.

Now stepping up to the mound, Chris Sales has 7 wins pitching and 47 strikeouts. Jose Quintana leads the ERA in 1.38, David Robertson has 10 saves this season and Nate Jones with the total of 9 holds. In total, the Sox has 260 strikeouts and will continue to play well. Infield, first baseman Jose Abreu has 16 assists and 26 double plays. The second baseman Brett Lawrie carries the team with 88 assists, 17 double plays and only 3 errors. Todd Frazier, 3rd baseman, gives us another 62 assists and 5 double plays. Jimmy Rollins at short is not far behind with 56 assist and 12 double plays.

For our boys in the outfield, Austin Jackson in Center Field has given us 2 assists, in Left Field Melky Cabrera has one assist and Adam Eaton in Right Field leads the outfield assists with the total of 6 assists in this regular season. The White Sox record is 23-11, they are off to a great start this season and are definitely great to watch with their fantastic double plays, excellent batting and great strikeouts.

Chicago Cubs

Just like the south side, the Cubs have been making our Windy City just as proud. The Chicago Cubs have the record of 23-6 (as of May 10th) and an 8 game winning streak, the Cubs are the leading team so far this season. They’ve had some excellent hits this season with the total of 37 home runs from the Chicago Cubs. Dexter Fowler holds the Cubs highest batting average at .339, Anthony Rizzo holds both most home runs at 10 and most RBI’s at 28. Fowler also has an OBP of .467 and leads the team with 37 hits.

Jake Arrieta makes the crowd go crazy when he pitched a no hitter against the Cincinnati Reds in April. Arrieta leads the pitchers in 3 categories: 6 wins, 1.13 ERA, and 44 strikeouts. Hector Rondon has 7 saves while pitching and Pedro Strop with 8 holds. The Cubs pitchers have not disappointed this season.

In the field, the First baseman Anthony Rizzo keeps his fans proud with the 27 assists and 25 doubles plays, Ben Zobrist at second provides us with 80 assists and 19 double plays, the ladies’ favorite Kris Bryant leads the 3rd baseman in assists with the total of 38, and Shortstop Addison Russell leads the Cubs in assists with 83.

The outfielders are not letting anything pass them with the total of 4 assists from (left) Kris Bryant, (center) Dexter Fowler and (right) Jason Heyward. All around, the Cubs have had a great season thus far. The Chicago Cubs have both shocked and pleased their fans with their outstanding plays and wins and will continue to do so.

2016 has been a great year to be a fan of a Chicago team, we can only hope that the season continues to get better with outstanding plays from pitches such as Chris Sales and Jake Arrieta and outstanding plays from both the infield and the outfield.

Find out when the Cubs and the Sox will be playing next. Check for updates here!