Leicester City Wins

Ben Holda, Sports Reporter

The soccer equivalent of the ‘Miracle on Ice’ has occurred this weekend. Leicester City won the Barclays premier League on Sunday after 2nd place Tottenham Hotspur failed to get a win in their League match against Chelsea Football Club.

The main reason why this is such a big deal is because of how much a Cinderella story it is. At the beginning of the season, Leicester was at 5000/1 odds to win the championship. In terms of odds, Elvis Presley is more likely to be found alive in 2016 (2,500/1) according to BBC.com and it’s more likely that you will die of a texting related car crash (4,000/1) than Leicester City winning the League.

Now of course these are not powerball odds, but it’s still a pretty big bet to put into perspective, and to understand just how big this event is in the world of soccer, please consider this: Leicester City Football Club has been in existence for 133 years, and this is the first time the team has won a top division title. This is also the first time since 1995 (Blackburn Rovers) that a team other than Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, or Arsenal have won the title.

The biggest surprise is the fact that the club almost got relegated last season. For those who don’t know, European Soccer is a little different American Soccer , instead of teams buying spots in the League or folding, Europe has a promotion/relegation format, and how it works is the top 2-4 (usually 3) teams in a lower division move up a division, and the bottom 3 in the higher division get sent down. To put that into perspective, that’s like if the Atlanta Braves continue this losing trend, at the end of the year, they get sent to AAA baseball.

Photo Credit to Skysports.com

Photo Credit to Skysports.com.

Leicester survived relegation last season by a slim margin, fired their coach because of a drug related incident, then went on the win the League with the new coach, Claudio Ranieri, who has won the many other leagues before with Italian and Spanish teams, but this is his first English championship in his second stint in the country (he coached Chelsea from 2000-2004).

Our best congratulations go out to Leicester City and their fans.