Game 7

Chicago Plays Game 7 Against St. Louis

Ben Holda, Sports Reporter

Photo credit to Chicago Tribune.

Photo credit to Chicago Tribune.

Pat Foley, the Chicago Blackhawks color commentator, said during game 5 that when teams go down 3-1 in a best of seven series in the NHL, they have a 10% chance of advancing to the next round. That exact scenario happened to 4 teams in the first round of the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

So far 3 of the 4 teams have been eliminated (Los Angeles Kings, Philadelphia Flyers, and Minnesota Wild respectively) going into Monday Night’s game 7. The Chicago Blackhawks wanted to avoid joining that ill fated list, but before we talk about game 7, let’s take a moment to recognize how they got to game 7.

After splitting the first two games with the St. Louis Blues, the Chicago Blackhawks lost both home games causing the series to go 3-1 in favor of the Blues, and it was in Game 4 where the Andrew Shaw incident occurred. The Blackhawks stole game 5 in St. Louis after Patrick Kane Buried a wrap-around goal in double overtime to force a game 6 in Chicago.

chi-hawks-blues0425b-ct0038053103-20160425

Photo credit to Chicago Tribune.

Then in Chicago, with Shaw Back, the Blackhawks went down 3-1 after the first period and lit the goal up in the second period, scoring 3 goals. With a 4-3 lead, The Blackhawks scored 2 more to win 6-3 and force a game 7.

In Game 7, the Blackhawks fought hard against the Blues, seeing the Blues scored 2 goals early. (Marian Hossa scored with less than two minutes let in the first period, then Andrew Shaw put one away early in the second period to tie the game 2-2.) In the Third Period the Blues scored a very messy goal to put them up 3-2, and that’s all it took for the Blues after they withstood the onslaught of shots from the Blackhawks.

With this game 7 win for the Blues, the Blackhawks have been eliminated from the playoffs. This is the first time since 2009 that the Chicago Blackhawks have failed to make it to at least the Western Conference Finals. The Blues will go on to play the Dallas Stars, who defeated the Minnesota Wild in the first round.